Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Q&A WITH NINA MANOLSON

It is that time of the year again. We are officially back to work, back to school, and- if we are parents- back to the routine we have with our kids. The sheen of those New Year's resolutions might be wearing off in the light of our everyday lives.

Nina Manolson, MA, CHHC, is here to help with that. She is a busy mom who runs the website Smokin' Hot Mom. You can also follow her on twitter.

Nina is a certified Health Coach and Smokin’ Hot Mom Mentor. She coaches busy moms, who are great at taking care of everyone else but have neglected themselves. She teaches moms to prioritize themselves in a way that balances their whole life, makes them happier, healthier and turns them into smokin’ hot moms who love their life. Her clients find wellness from within, through nourishment on all levels – body, mind, and spirit. She also teaches conscientious moms how to feed her kids well in a world that doesn't and has a book coming out soon entitled: Feed Your Kids Well in A World That Doesn't.


I spoke with Nina about her mission, tips for staying motivated, and of course her Mandatory Reading for men.

1. What inspired you to start smokinhotmom?

The website was born out of my passion for helping moms feel fantastic.

I have been working with women, helping them reconnect to their body, feel good in their own skin, and listen to their own knowing for over 20 years. When I became a mom I realized that all those things I learned to feel my best, needed to be relearned or at least updated for my new busy mom life.

When women step into motherhood, we step into a new set of priorities. Family comes first, we focus on the big picture of our kid's future or the tiny moment of how do we get our kids to their after-school activity. Often moms step into a self-less phase of life. We have to-do lists a mile long, but we're not on it! This lack of self-care results in moms who feel like they've lost their energy, their joy, their pizzazz. Most moms get to a point where they realize they want their vitality, their body, their sexiness back. Basically, they want to be a smokin' hot moms!

It's not that mom's don't know they should eat right or take time for themselves. It's making it happen in the crazy-busy life moms lead that is the hard work.

Smokin' Hot Mom is my unique, easy and pleasurable way of helping moms make the journey from overwhelmed and exhausted to radiant and smokin' hot!

2. Can you describe your favorite self-help / self-improvement books?

The self-help books I love are those steeped in self-compassion. I love the books that are not about what the "right" thing is to do, or eat, or think. I love books that remind us that we are human-beings not human-doings.

In our fast paced, high-expectation society, I use books to be the voice of balance, loving-kindness, and slowing down.

Some of my current favorites are: Self-Compassion by Kristin Neff, The Slow-Down Diet by Marc David, The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown and Finding The Deep River Within by Abby Seixas.



3. What was the last book you read?

I'm a chronic read-many-books-at-once kind of gal. So, what I'm currently reading is: The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown, Anatomy of Spirit by Caroline Myss, You Can Create an Exceptional Life by Louise Hay and Cheryl Richardson, and there's always a ton of recipe books littered around as well.



4. If you had the power to make every man in the universe read a certain book, which one would you choose and why?

I get so into each book and each subject I'm reading, I tend to think everyone should read it. That's how I feel about right now about Kristin Neff's book on Self-Compassion. It's a message we all need to hear.



5. I have found that it is easy enough to start a self-improvement program, but hard to keep one up. How do you stay motivated?

The key to motivation is having clarity and support.

If you get really clear on why your self-improvement program is important to you, and what's in it for you at a deep level, you get past the "I should" and into the "I want" and "I need." "I want and need" has a whole lot more power than "I should."

Having the support to make change is crucial. Most of us tend to think we can do it all ourselves. But having support, someone to guide the way, to champion you in your quest for healthy change is what makes it do-able and what helps make the changes stick.


6. Do you have any literary guilty pleasures?

Currently I'm deep into reading Harry Potter aloud to my kids. It's bliss to cuddle up with them and share a great story.

Nina is currently offering a free teleclass for busy moms to reclaim their body and end the war with food: http://smokinhotmom.com/freecall/

For more information: Smokin'HotMom.com, HealthyYummyKids.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment