Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Q&A With Daniela Sacerdoti


Daniela Sacerdoti's novel Watch Over Me is now available on Amazon. This is Daniela's first novel. She lives in Glasgow, where she writes and works as a teacher.

Stevie: What is the book about, and what do you think readers will like about it?

Daniela: The book is about a woman looking for a place to belong, for love and motherhood. It’s also the story of a mother’s fundamental impulse to look after her son even after her own death, and of a man who’s struggling with loneliness. I think readers will be able to identify with Eilidh, Jamie and Elizabeth and the characters around them because the book talks about life, really.

Stevie: Many writers nowadays are choosing to self-publish. Do you see any advantages or disadvantages to signing with a publisher instead?

Daniela: I have never self-published, so I can’t give an informed answer in terms of the advantages and disadvantages. I know that I wouldn’t look at self-publishing because I’d find the distribution and marketing a nightmare. I’d definitely stick with traditional publishing, also because of the advantages of the creative relationship with your publishers when it comes to editing.


Stevie: Do you write primarily for women, or is it something you don't think about?

Daniela: Not at all, I write the stories I want to write, and I’d love men to read and appreciate my book too, though it’s less likely for them to pick up a story about love. But then, why not? Why should men be less interested in these matters? Most men are partners and fathers, and all men are sons: their lives are very much steeped in this sort of stories, as much as women’s.

Stevie: I saw in your biography that you have a degree in classics. Has that informed your writing or helped you to evolve as a writer?

Daniela: Very much so. I’ve studied Latin and Greek since I was thirteen, and it gave me a great love of language and stories. Also it gave me a head start when it comes to languages, which was a help when learning English.

Stevie: You have been given a magic wand that will make every man on the planet read any 3 books. What books will you choose, and why?

Daniela: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee, to open their eyes about prejudice; Lord of the Flies by William Golding, to unmask the mechanism of tribalism and aggression; and 1984, by George Orwell, to warn against totalitarian regimes and how easily they can come about. Very political, I know...but I think it’s important that all women and men are aware of these issues.

Visit Daniela's Website

Follow Daniela on Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment