Monday, December 5, 2011

5 Things I Learned...

from reading The Devil Wears Prada, by Lauren Weisberger




This is another of the books Stephanie from Chick Lit Club suggested for me back in September. The first one was Bridget Jones' Diary, which I wrote about earlier. Since completing The Devil Wears Prada, I have started on Angels by Marian Keyes.

Once I finish Stephanie's suggestions, I hope to have enough of a knowledge base to choose my own chick lit books and authors. In the meantime, I will write about the books on her list.

Now for my list:

1. Appearance vs. reality is still one of the best conflicts in literature. If any of the characters or events in this book are based in real life, the fashion world is an ugly place.

2. Chick Lit might owe some of its archetypal foundations to the romance genre, but the similarities end there. I won't talk about the ending of The Devil Wears Prada, but it is partially ambiguous. There is no ambiguity in a romance novel; in fact, I'd be disappointed if I didn't get my happy ending in one. Chick lit can be more reflective of real life.

3. That company that sells four hundred dollar scarves? It's not "her meez." It's "air mezz." Now I won't look like such an oaf at parties and stuff.

4. I knew reading chick lit would change my views on books, but now it's affecting other mediums of literature. I mean... I really want to see this movie! I have seen enough pieces of the movie to know that Meryl Streep is perfect as the evil Miranda Priestley, and I kept seeing her as I read the book.




I want to see the Bridget Jones movie, too. How else can I compare it to the book? Next thing you know, I'll be looking for the Sex And The City DVD's on Amazon.

5. Chick lit is infinitely complex, and reading any of it is rewarding. I will never again make fun of a book just because it has a swirly pink cover or a cartoonish thin woman holding a tiny handbag. The best chick lit books define the genre and push the edges of it at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment