Monday, September 12, 2011

Learning What I Like

I am almost done with Forever by Jude Devereaux. I liked it, and I will read more of Jude's work, but it didn't light me up. It wasn't one of those books that I couldn't put down.

My next read was supposed to be 1105 Yakima Street, by Debbie Macomber. But I cheated a little. I got another bestseller- Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich. I will read it next and come back to Debbie.

Why? Because after reading Forever I know that I like stories with supernatural and paranormal elements. And I have always loved books written in first person. I identify with Lizzie (the heroine of Wicked Appetite), because she is in her late twenties and still seems to be finding herself. That's how it was for me, too.

Also, Janet doesn't mess around. I only skimmed over the first few pages, and the villain has already shown up. He is evil and attractive, like a bad guy should be.

I am still finding my way around the romance genre, and women's books in general. My guiding principle is to pick those books that appeal to me, that speak to me and make me want to pick them up. I know I will end up reading Charlaine Harris, Laurel K. Hamilton, and Heather Graham soon. I think of Janet's new book as "paranormal lite."

What about you? Who are your favorite supernatural authoresses? Now that I've shared a little, do you have any suggestions for me?

2 comments:

  1. Charlaine Harris' books are great fun. The Harper Connelly ones and the Southern Vampire Mysteries are all great reads. LK Hamilton's Anita Blake started out great - but the series has seriously gone downhill. "Narcissus in Chains" last tolerable one and that's probably a decade ago but the initial ones are really pretty entertaining. You must read Mary Shelley's classic "Frankenstein" because she's mesmerizing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! I will start on "Frankenstein" as soon as I can... it might take me a while to read it.

    ReplyDelete